Tradies have among the highest rate of injuries, musculoskeletal conditions and other health and safety risks of any profession. Every day in Victoria alone 10 tradies are seriously injured at work. That is 3650 tradies a year out of work and on workers compensation.
Nearly a quarter of all roofers, labourers and plumbers experience back pain, ongoing muscular stress and strain from lifting equipment, working postures and falls when handling materials.
Osteopaths can play a critical role in providing early healthcare intervention support–through diagnosing, treating, and preventing disease and disability through physical means. Working in partnership with their patients, osteopaths can help recovery from injury, reduce pain and stiffness, and increase mobility, and also prevent further injury.
How Can Osteopathy Help?
Osteopaths are experts in human movement. They understand how your muscles, bones, joints and ligaments all work and how injuries develop. Applying this knowledge Osteopaths are able to help get you back to work faster.
- Assess your muscle strength, flexibility and fitness to design an appropriate fitness program
- Teach you how to better handle loads, to move more efficiently and safely
- Teach you how to engage your trunk or core stabilisers when performing everyday tasks
- Show you how to prevent injury in your home or workplace
- Treat muscle, joint and ligament injuries to assist with a successful recovery
They may use:
- Joint mobilisation & manipulation
- Electrotherapy e.g. ultrasound or TENS machines
- Massage and mobilisation to increase soft tissue flexibility
- Muscle energy techniques to increase range of movement of articular structures
- Biomechanical correction
- Postural assessment, correction and advice
- Ergonomic advice regarding work role modifications, if required
- Exercises to improve flexibility, strength and core stability
- Taping or bracing if needed
- A gradual return to activity program
Early intervention and treatment and the promotion of preventative health and wellbeing can prolong working careers and improve the health of any worker in the trade industry.